Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Queen

The Queen finally came to town this weekend, so I managed to find some time in my uber-busy schedule to sneak in a Sunday matinee.

What an incredible film! I was predictably blown away by Helen Mirren's performance. She is just such a brilliant actress, never over the top, never hammy. She portrayed the Queen with such dignity and intelligence and just the slightest smack of vulnerability.

Michael Sheen was robbed! His Tony Blair was the perfect foil to Mirren's Queen. I loved the contrast between their lives -- the very proper British order of the Queen's Balmoral estate versus the "we have kids" chaos of 10 Downing Street with the toys on the floor and the kids' finger paintings on the wall. The conflict between his admiration for the Queen and his desire for modernization was so well played. He should have been an Oscar nominee. He provides the real heart of that film and being able to hold your own against Helen Mirren is no small feat.

Do I think I just saw the Best Picture of 2006? No. Of course, MY choice for the Best Picture isn't even nominated (United 93). I really don't see The Queen taking home Best Picture February 25, though. Giving Helen Mirren her long overdue Oscar and a likely screenplay nomination for Peter Morgan will be the Academy's way of recognizing a really fine, understated film.

No comments: